Deckhand/Guide aboard Expedition Sailing Vessel
About the position:
We’re looking for an enthusiastic and hard-working DECKHAND to join our fun, passionate, professional, and energetic crew for our 2018 expedition season. The successful candidate will play central and diverse roles on board encompassing vessel operations, guiding, guest and culinary services. Candidates must be self-motivated, have strong interpersonal skills, and thrive working in a close-knit team based environment. Candidates must be willing and able to spend up to a month or more at sea at a time and be comfortable in wilderness environments largely isolated from email and phone access (and which happen to be some of the most spectacular regions on the BC coast). Critically, candidates must be genuinely excited to provide the hard work and attention to detail required to ensure that our guests have the best possible experience during their time onboard with us.
- Assist the Master with aspects of vessel operation, including but not limited to docking, anchoring, sailing, steering, vessel maintenance, and various deck duties.
- Assist our Chefs with culinary services, including but not limited to plating meals, serving meals, and washing dishes.
- Assist the Master and Expedition Specialist with wilderness guiding activities, including but not limited to operating inflatable skiffs, kayaking, and shore excursions.
- Assist all crew with guest services, including but not limited cleaning cabins and heads, and responding to the needs of our guests as required.
- Transport Canada Marine Emergency Duties A2 (MED A2)
- Transport Canada Small Vessel Operators Proficiency (SVOP)
- Radio Operator Certificate – Restricted
- Wilderness First Aid (20-hour course minimum)
What we also look for:
- Additional marine industry certifications and experience (e.g. Transport Canada, International Yachtmaster, Canadian Yachting Association, Canadian Coast Guard).
- Commercial Bear Viewing Association certification
- Degrees or diplomas in Tourism and Outdoor Recreation
- Degrees or diplomas in biology, ecology, natural history, cultural history, environmental studies, and conservation biology.
- FoodSafe and Serving it Right BC
- Experience, knowledge of, and passion for, the regions, cultures, communities, and conservation of the BC coast.
Commensurate with experience
How to Apply:
Please send your CV and a short cover letter to Russell Markel c/o firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to our limited to the ability to reply to the typically high numbers of applications only those candidates short-listed will be contacted.