360 B Harbour Rd, Victoria BC, V9A 3S1
Multiple contracts between April and November 2018.
Who we are:
Outer Shores’ small-ship expeditions provide extraordinary and intimate opportunities for being immersed in the ancient cultures and stunning wildlife of Canada’s Pacific Coast. Guided by a crew of professional mariners and expert naturalists, small groups of 6 guests explore the incredible coastline of British Columbia while living and cruising aboard the 70’ classic wooden schooner, Passing Cloud. President and Captain Russell Markel holds a PhD in marine biology and is dedicated to hosting travellers from around the world while fostering stewardship and supporting conservation-based research in the areas where Outer Shores travels.
About the position:
We’re looking for a seasonal Expedition Chef aboard our vessel Passing Cloud to join our professional, passionate, and energetic crew for our 2018 expedition season. The successful candidate will prepare healthy, delicious meals and snacks for 6 guests and 4 crew on multi-day exceptional wilderness, wildlife, and cultural expeditions throughout the BC Coast.
This position requires a person who has an eye for detail, strong interpersonal skills and experience aboard small ships. Duties include working with Outer Shores’ head chef to deliver our coastally-inspired semi-set menu, ordering, provisioning, stowing, preparing, and delivering delicious, creative, healthy, and beautiful meals and snacks. The ideal candidate can adapt to changing circumstances, and can work independently, often on tight time schedules, while crew and guests share a small space. The candidate must share a passion for enhancing guest experience through food, utilizing the local meats, produce and seafood of our coast. The candidate must be able to work long hours, prepare three meals and two snacks each day and stay onboard for 2-3 week periods throughout our April-November expedition season.
Critically, candidates must thrive in a close-knit team-based environment and be genuinely excited to provide the hard work and attention to detail required to ensure that our guests have the best possible experience during their time onboard.
- Broad culinary skills with professional training, certification, and experience.
- Proven ability to thrive in a team-based and customer service environment.
- Proven ability to manage stress and adapt to changing circumstances and adversity.
- Must be able to live on the ship for weeks at a time with little communication with the outside world (i.e. no cellular or Internet access).
- Must be able to work in a small galley, sharing the space with guests and crew.
- Plan, prepare and execute three meals and two snacks each day within our innovative semi-set menu for 6 guests and 4 crew members.
- Present and plate food in a professional, beautiful, and creative manner.
- Adapt meals to various guest dietary restrictions as necessary.
- Manage inventory and ordering of provisions.
What we also look for:
- Knowledge of local sustainable seafood.
- Experience foraging and preparing wild foods.
- Knowledge of wine pairing.
- Strong conservation and sustainability ethic.
- Experience with boats, sailing, living, and working in remote wilderness areas.
Compensation and Benefits:
Competitive rates plus gratuities.
Transportation to/from ship from either Vancouver or Victoria.
Meals, accommodation, plus the opportunity to explore and experience the wildlife, wilderness and cultures of the amazing coast of British Columbia.
How to Apply:
Please send your CV, including a detailed description of all training and experience relevant to this position, and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org attention Russell Markel. Due to our limited ability to reply to the typically high numbers of applications we expect, only those short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls or drop-ins.